plug-in works in version 6 and version 7 of ThumbsPlus.
information about ThumbsPlus features, please visit
our features page.
here to download the EPS new plug-in.
Once you have downloaded the EXE file, double
click the file tp_gs.exe to install into your ThumbsPlus installation
folder (where Thumbs.exe resides).
You must also install
Ghostscript. Further information and downloads for AFPL
and GNU Ghostscript is available
here. Generally, you should use the latest version.
Minimum version requirements:
- ThumbsPlus: 6.0 Pro Edition
- AFPL: 8.00 (latest recommended)
- GNU: 7.04 (latest recommended)
Once you've installed the plug-in, you should
restart ThumbsPlus. If you've installed the plug-in into the
correct folder, you will see Ghostscript PS/EPS/PDF on the Options
| File Plug-Ins menu. Use this to point the plug-in
to the Ghostscript installation and set loading options. (It
should automatically locate the AFPL 8.00 DLL, but not other
versions or the GNU DLL).
Use Options | Preferences
| File Types to configure each file type to
use the Cerious plug-in:
Information about the loading options is shown
- Ghostscript installation location: If necessary,
use the [...] button to browse to your Ghostscript's DLL.
- Color format: You can load at 24-bit color,
8-bit grayscale, or 1-bit bi-level.
- Resolution: You can select an input resolution
(dpi) for making thumbnails, viewing, and printing. These
are always dots per inch, because that is what GS expects.
- Anti-Aliasing: Selects the quality of output.
This is ignored when making thumbnails, and when loading as
- Log Ghostscript messages: Enable this to
log error messages reported by Ghostscript. These will be
written to tpgs.log in your ThumbsPlus folder.
- The plug-in cannot currently compute the number of pages
in PDF or PS files. They always show as 999 pages. We are
currently working on this.
- The resolution reported in ThumbsPlus will correspond with
the Print & Convert DPI chosen. Dimensions are reported for
an 8.5 x 11 pages, since obtaining the physical dimensions
would require interpretation.
- If you have installed the previous beta plug-in for PS files
(plug_ps.tpp), delete it or rename it to plug_ps.tpx.
- The Ghostscript DLL cannot be used from multiple threads
simultaneously, so background threads (and viewing from the
main window) will "take turns" processing files.
- Only a few of our .AI samples work with the
plug-in. Most AI files require Postscript procedures that
are not part of Ghostscript. If anyone knows where to obtain
these procedures (e.g., Adobe_cmykcolor, Adobe_packedarray,
Adobe_level2_AI5), and whether they are redistributable, please
contact Laura Shook.
- If you wish to receive notification when
updates are available for the Postscript plug-in, contact
- There is a current ThumbsPlus plug-in limitation: for multi-page
files, ThumbsPlus doesn't tell the plug-in whether it is loading
for viewing. So, pages after the 1st page in PS and PDF files
will be loaded at print resolution. This will be fixed in
a ThumbsPlus service pack.