ThumbsPlus 9 Build 3928
Important: Build 3928 works around the Windows design clusterf*** that caused runtimer error R6034 (sometimes reported, sometimes causing ThumbsPlus to hang on startup).
If you wish select the old-style Everything in one folder installation option, be sure to install to a folder that does not require UAC (user access control). Most importantly, do not install in the
C:\Program Files or
C:\Program Files (x86) folders (or their equivalents in other languages).
The installer does not uninstall version 8 or earlier. Once you no longer need it, you can uninstall any prior version from Control Panel.
If you encounter problems during the installation, please send us the
Thumbs9Install.log from your user TEMP folder along with your problem report. (If you're not sure where this is, hit Win+R, enter
%TEMP%, and hit enter, and Explorer will open it for you). The Win key has the Windows logo () and is usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys.. If your keyboard doesn't have one, consult the documentation for your keyboard and version of windows, or run the command
START %TEMP% from a command prompt.
All single-user and home network users who ordered or upgraded ThumbsPlus on or after 15 January 2012 received version 9 at no additional charge.
Concurrent license users who are up-to-date with their annual support contracts have received version 9 automatically and at no additional charge. Those with out-of-date support contracts may upgrade at $50.00 per user.
If you are eligible and did not receive your version 9 code, please contact the order desk.
Major new features
You can use ThumbsPlus to log in to your Facebook account, where you can browse and update your photo albums, and even thumbnail and view your friends' albums and photos.
There are many improvements and additions to the Python scripting capabilities. We're working on sample scripts that will be included with version 9, and will announce them on the forums as they become available. See the section below on Python scripting for more info.
Several of the new features in ThumbsPlus 9 depend on Python (including Facebook access),, and in the future we will be moving more and more high-level functions to Python. Of course, the core image processing, database, and many other internal functions will remain written in C++ and C (and even a bit of assembly language for some important speed optimizations).
We're looking forward to see what kinds of functions our users can contribute as well!
Problems fixed in builds 3920 - 3924
- Fixed several Windows XP compatibility problems, including program hangs and bizarre error message displays.
- Fixed page count in multi-page TIFF files.
- Fixed calculation of total number of files for progress displays.
- Fixed crash with some Olympus Confocal TIFF files.
- Fixed problem generating blank catalog pages and contact sheet images when certain options were selected.
- Picked a bunch of several UI nits.
- Fixed several problems with build 3919 and build 3920, including incompatibility with some OSes and runtime error on startup.
- Fixed missing menu option to export thumbnails to JPEG files in Thumbnail - Export to Jpeg.
- When scanning a tree, the percentage done was not correct.
- Fixed the toolbar Thumbnail - Scan Folder button.
- Added crash information to Subject when emailing a crash report (for ease in tracking specific crashes).
- Column headers were displayed incorrectly in the thumbnail pane when display of thumbnails disabled.
- Fixed problem of display in the file filter drop-down on thumbnail pane.
Problems fixed in builds 3926 - 3928
- Worked around the problem in which Windows tried to load runtime libraries from invalid locations (runtime error R6034 and hanging on startup).
- Fixed problem where the Find function was ignoring the first keyword in the list.
- Fixed problem with Find where searching for similar images did not show any results.
- Fixed problem with pasting images on certain OSes and with Thumbnail - Make from clipboard.
- Fixed the crash in 3926 when dragging files out of the thumbnail view.
- Build 3927 Provides a utility (ThumbsRex) to help diagnose Microsoft runtime error R6034 and startup hangs. Run this utility from the Start Menu - All Programs - ThumbsPlus - Utilities - ThumbsPlus (Diagnose Startup), or run ThumbsRex.exe from the ThumbsPlus\Bin folder.
- Reset the 30-day evaluation period. If you evaluated any prior version 9 build and found it lacking, please try build 3926 as there are a lot of fixes and improvements!
- Fixed some cases where the file list wasn't updated after moving or copying files.
- Fixed crash when trying to make a thumbnail with F3 and no files were selected.
- Fixed problem using evaluation version with client/server databases.
- Fixed a problem that could cause crashes or skipped files and folders when recursively processing folder trees, including Print Catalog, Contact Sheets, Web Page Wizard, and in some cases Thumbnail Tree.
- Fixed several compatibility problems when using PostgreSQL and MySQL. Also, please see the Databases page for new scripts for creating these databases for version 9.
- Improved database speed when using Client/Server databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL and MySQL).
- Updated Python version to 2.7.3 to eliminate warnings generated by some security software regarding 2.7.2.
- Built executables and DLLs with the latest Visual Studio (2012).
- Fixed strange problems and messages that could occur if the preferences file (Thumb9.ini) was read-only.
- Fixed view window to honor the Show status line setting in Options - Viewing - Appearance.
- Fixed several problems with upgrading database to V8/V9 format (both .td4 and client/server).
- Improved V9 database upgrade process (Database - Advanced - Convert .td4) when an Access database is near capacity, and improved performance of conversion, especially when using the Store thumbnails in files option (which is recommended for large databases).
- Improved error logging and crash handling.
- Fixed tree display of folders containing pound signs (#).
- Vast improvement to speed of removing orphans (Thumbnail - Remove - Orphans).
- Removed button to create folder share as it was not working properly. (Use Windows Explorer instead.)
- Many additional small bug fixes and minor improvements.
ThumbsPlus caches facebook query results internally, and compresses, saves and restores them between sessions. This can take a lot of memory, so I will be changing the cache so it uses a local disk file instead. This will also eliminate the time required to load and save the cache. The cache file is called
Thumbs9.fbcache and is located in your preferences folder, which you can open from Start menu - All Programs - ThumbsPlus - Utilities - View Preferences Folder.
Downloaded files are cached in a subfolder of your TEMP folder (
%TEMP%\Tp_Fb). This cache is not currently pruned. You can remove all of the files anytime; ThumbsPlus will re-download them if you make thumbnails or view them.
The Keep me logged in to ThumbsPlus option on the Facebook login window does not work when restarting ThumbsPlus.
Using Python for scripting and customizing ThumbsPlus 9
Information on scripting is now in the help file.
Command line options
The Help file now includes a complete (or nearly complete) list of command line options.
and Cerious are registered trademarks of Cerious
Windows and Vista are registered
trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.