ThumbsPlus 9 Build 3934
If you wish select the old-style Everything in one folder installation option, be sure to install to a folder that does not require UAC (user access control). Most importantly, do not install in the
C:\Program Files or
C:\Program Files (x86) folders (or their equivalents in other languages).
The installer does not uninstall version 8 or earlier. Once you no longer need it, you can uninstall any prior version from Control Panel.
If you encounter problems during the installation, please send us the
Thumbs9Install.log from your user TEMP folder along with your problem report. (If you're not sure where this is, hit Win+R, enter
%TEMP%, and hit enter, and Explorer will open it for you). The Win key has the Windows logo () and is usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys.. If your keyboard doesn't have one, consult the documentation for your keyboard and version of windows, or run the command
START %TEMP% from a command prompt.
All single-user and home network users who ordered or upgraded ThumbsPlus on or after 15 January 2012 received version 9 at no additional charge.
Concurrent license users who are up-to-date with their annual support contracts have received version 9 automatically and at no additional charge. Those with out-of-date support contracts may upgrade at $50.00 per user.
If you are eligible and did not receive your version 9 code, please contact the order desk.
Major new features
You can use ThumbsPlus to log in to your Facebook account, where you can browse and update your photo albums, and even thumbnail and view your friends' albums and photos.
There are many improvements and additions to the Python scripting capabilities. We're working on sample scripts that will be included with version 9, and will announce them on the forums as they become available. See the section below on Python scripting for more info.
Several of the new features in ThumbsPlus 9 depend on Python (including Facebook access),, and in the future we will be moving more and more high-level functions to Python. Of course, the core image processing, database, and many other internal functions will remain written in C++ and C (and even a bit of assembly language for some important speed optimizations).
We're looking forward to see what kinds of functions our users can contribute as well!
Problems fixed in builds 3920 - 3924
- Fixed several Windows XP compatibility problems, including program hangs and bizarre error message displays.
- Fixed page count in multi-page TIFF files.
- Fixed calculation of total number of files for progress displays.
- Fixed crash with some Olympus Confocal TIFF files.
- Fixed problem generating blank catalog pages and contact sheet images when certain options were selected.
- Picked a bunch of several UI nits.
- Fixed several problems with build 3919 and build 3920, including incompatibility with some OSes and runtime error on startup.
- Fixed missing menu option to export thumbnails to JPEG files in Thumbnail - Export to Jpeg.
- When scanning a tree, the percentage done was not correct.
- Fixed the toolbar Thumbnail - Scan Folder button.
- Added crash information to Subject when emailing a crash report (for ease in tracking specific crashes).
- Column headers were displayed incorrectly in the thumbnail pane when display of thumbnails disabled.
- Fixed problem of display in the file filter drop-down on thumbnail pane.
Problems fixed in builds 3926 - 3928
- Worked around the problem in which Windows tried to load runtime libraries from invalid locations (runtime error R6034 and hanging on startup).
- Resets the 30-day evaluation period. If you evaluated any prior version 9 build and found it lacking, please try build 3928 as there are a lot of fixes and improvements!
- Fixed problem where the Find function was ignoring the first keyword in the list.
- Fixed problem with Find where searching for similar images did not show any results.
- Fixed problem with pasting images on certain OSes and with Thumbnail - Make from clipboard.
- Fixed the crash in 3926 when dragging files out of the thumbnail view.
- Build 3927 Provides a utility (ThumbsRex) to help diagnose Microsoft runtime error R6034 and startup hangs. Run this utility from the Start Menu - All Programs - ThumbsPlus - Utilities - ThumbsPlus (Diagnose Startup), or run ThumbsRex.exe from the ThumbsPlus\Bin folder.
- Fixed some cases where the file list wasn't updated after moving or copying files.
- Fixed crash when trying to make a thumbnail with F3 and no files were selected.
- Fixed problem using evaluation version with client/server databases.
- Fixed a problem that could cause crashes or skipped files and folders when recursively processing folder trees, including Print Catalog, Contact Sheets, Web Page Wizard, and in some cases Thumbnail Tree.
- Fixed several compatibility problems when using PostgreSQL and MySQL. Also, please see the Databases page for new scripts for creating these databases for version 9.
- Improved database speed when using Client/Server databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL and MySQL).
- Updated Python version to 2.7.3 to eliminate warnings generated by some security software regarding 2.7.2.
- Built executables and DLLs with the latest Visual Studio (2012).
- Fixed strange problems and messages that could occur if the preferences file (Thumb9.ini) was read-only.
- Fixed view window to honor the Show status line setting in Options - Viewing - Appearance.
- Fixed several problems with upgrading database to V8/V9 format (both .td4 and client/server).
- Improved V9 database upgrade process (Database - Advanced - Convert .td4) when an Access database is near capacity, and improved performance of conversion, especially when using the Store thumbnails in files option (which is recommended for large databases).
- Improved error logging and crash handling.
- Fixed tree display of folders containing pound signs (#).
- Vast improvement to speed of removing orphans (Thumbnail - Remove - Orphans).
- Removed button to create folder share as it was not working properly. (Use Windows Explorer instead.)
- Many additional small bug fixes and minor improvements.
Problems fixed in build 3931
These issues required work in the depths of the code mine (and rewriting a ton of really old code), that is not all that visible, but took several design and programming weeks. Getting these out of the way first helps the more visible fixes and changes to procede at much faster pace.
- Removed many possible buffer overruns throughout ThumbsPlus
- Likewise, fixed dozens of (individually unlikely but collectively more common) crashes due to poor or outdated string and memory handling, stack usage, and null pointer accesses
- Improved memory usage and tracking
These are more visible and just the beginning, but I'm spending as much time as possible in the code these days, and I'm working through them pretty quickly.
- Fixed problem from build 3928 expanding the root level of the Network tree
- Improvements to server database upgrade (from pre-v8 format) that allows restart after failure under most conditions
- Improvements to thumbstofiles.py to better handle Access (.tpdb8) databases that are near or at maximum capacity (2GB)
- Fixed several problems in batch editing metadata (there are plenty more coming)
- Fixed crashes when editing annotations in Report view
- Fixed problems using the keyword list in Report view
- Improved crash handling and reporting
- Provided a checkbox in ThumbsBug to indicate whether a screen shot should accompany the bug report
- Fixed crashes reading some MP3 files
- In error message displays, made 'A' equivalent to Yes in Yes/No dialogs so you can use the same key to confirm a single item as when using 'Yes to All' in Yes/No/Yes to All messages.
- Made ESC equivalent to No for Yes/No dialogs without a Cancel button
- Minor changes to make spelling, punctuation and capitalization more consistent
Problems fixed in build 3932
- Fixes to gallery handling
- Added query to save gallery order when leaving a gallery
- Fixed loss of gallery order when refreshing the tree
- Added Programs tab to Customize, for adding/deleting Open With programs. Still planning to enable automatic or simpler adding to the toolbar, so that you don't have to drag from Open With.
- Changed "Add program" to "Manage programs" on Open With menu.
- Fixed showing of user fields in Sort By combos without have to restart T+
- Fixed uninitialized Which Files combo on program start.
- Fixed incorrect check marks for displayed user fields in Show for Files menus.
- Moved external program definitions from the database to the INI file.
- Made Yes the default in yes/no confirmations.
- Fixed progress percent for copy/move files
- Fixed problem ThumbsPlus crashing with too many threads when scanning Facebook
- Fixed some problems with rotation and trimming of JPEG files and thumbnails.
- Fixed Open Database to require less screen height.
- Improved handling and responsiveness when copying and moving very large files.
- Added message about why all threads are being stopped
- Fixed some odd things happening in special folders (i.e, My Documents & My Pictures)
- Fixed problem renaming files with the same name as a prior deleted file (the rename was being attempted twice).
- Fixed obtaining compressed file size for locked files
- Improved performance for reading and testing children of a folder
- Changes and more information in File Properties - Physical
- Added some delays during backup to avoid slamming disks
- Fixed 'Save errors...' button on Doing dialog
- Added more info for File and Folder properties
- Improved appearance of some Info windows
- Improved Windows version recognizing and reporting
- Fixes to database backup
- Various code and display cleanup
Problems fixed in build 3933
- Fixed copy/move files when selecting destination using the dialog box (introduced in 3932)
- Some modifications to logging during startup to improve performance
- Added command line option to run standard mode when using full or evaluation version (-mode:std)
- Added command line option to run licensed copy in evaluation mode (-mode:eval)
- Enabled log wrapping to prevent log files from using up all disk space when an error occurs millions of times
- Fixed poor handling of path histories for Next/Previous folder
- Fixes for printing, including no output on some devices
- Changed view windows to not jump around when undoing/redoing
- Several miscellaneous crash fixes
- Various aesthetic improvements
Problems fixed in build 3934
- Fixed checking for Digimarc watermarks
- Fixed Web Page Wizard preview
- Changed Save/Save As/Close/Cancel to be consistent (changed Cancel to match other options)
- Fixed several dozen possible crashes
- Fixed problem where Facebook folders sometimes got confused with F:
- Fixed errors when retrievinv facebook file names without extensions
- Fixed problems with Python output display (was not positioning and scrolling
- Fixed race condition when multiple busy threads were trying to write to the log
- Added check to avoid reading or creating watermarks in images with
areas less than 256 x 256
- Prevent crash when invalid file type sequence passed to ConvertSelected()
- Fixed several problems with position of view window after making certain changes, undos, redos, and next/prev images
- Fixed multiple problems with cutting and pasting within images
- Update version to 9.0 build 3944 (since it's not an official service
pack, but is an official build)
- Fixed window size and positioning problems.
- Fixed undo/redo issues.
- Updated copyright year to 2014
Known problems remaining
There are several issues remaining; please use the forums, where I am spending a lot more time, to submit and discuss problems that haven't been addressed, or to request minor enhancements.
Known Facebook issues
ThumbsPlus caches facebook query results internally, and compresses, saves and restores them between sessions. This can take a lot of memory, so I will be changing the cache so it uses a local disk file instead. This will also eliminate the time required to load and save the cache. The cache file is called
Thumbs9.fbcache and is located in your preferences folder, which you can open from Start menu - All Programs - ThumbsPlus - Utilities - View Preferences Folder.
Downloaded files are cached in a subfolder of your TEMP folder (
%TEMP%\Tp_Fb). This cache is not currently pruned. You can remove all of the files anytime; ThumbsPlus will re-download them if you make thumbnails or view them.
The Keep me logged in to ThumbsPlus option on the Facebook login window does not work when restarting ThumbsPlus.
Using Python for scripting and customizing ThumbsPlus 9
Information on scripting is now in the help file.
Command line options
The Help file now includes a complete (or nearly complete) list of command line options.
and Cerious are registered trademarks of Cerious
Windows and Vista are registered
trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.